Before I start, let me make a few things clear:
a) I support Lee Sungmin.
b) I love Lee Sungmin.
If you do too, then
c) Why are you bashing?
Okay, so some of you are going to start giving me all that bullshit about Sungmin being selfish, about putting his girlfriend before the members and ELF, yadda yadda. But you know what?
Before you open your mouths, think about this: Sungmin wasn't the one who started the fire. All this crap began because external sources (interpret this how you will) started spreading rumours about Sungmin dating, Sungmin getting married, Sungmin this, Sungmin that. Sungmin never started it. In fact, Sungmin should be respected for coming clean with all of us with his own personally written letter to ELF. (If you haven't read that, where have you been??)
Which brings us onto the next point. "Sungmin was selfish for choosing this time!" "Sungmin disregarded SJ in favour of his own wishes." "Sungmin should be out of SJ!"
Now, now, did we all forget what ELF stands for? I don't think I need to remind you.
Also, as I said up there, Sungmin didn't choose this time. He said it himself that he was thinking hard and long about the best time to announce the news. He wouldn't have told us now if it wasn't for external sources releasing rumours left and right first. They forced his hand. And if you're saying Sungmin's selfish for telling us himself, in his own letter, instead of through an SM rep or leaving us to stew and spread rumours, here are more points to consider.
1) If he didn't tell us now himself, then when?
1a) If he'd told us earlier, it would have affected SS6.
1b) If he'd told us later... HE WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN MARRIED.
2) He cared enough to write an open letter to us instead of an SM rep announcing the wedding. SM could have easily released a statement saying he was getting married, but instead, Sungmin told us himself.
3) If he had chosen to deny that he was getting married, the truth would have come out sooner or later. I'd rather know now than be cheated and told the truth later.
4) Sure, he could have cancelled the wedding altogether. But that would hurt him. And I refuse to allow that to happen, because [see point b].
Now, have you ever considered the fact that maybe Sungmin wanted to get married before officially hitting 30, but held off as long as he could because he didn't want ELF to be sad? Have you ever considered the fact that Sungmin has always sacrificed everything for SJ and ELF? If he wants to be "selfish" for once, would you begrudge him even that? Would you rather we end up with another split, or another lawsuit? HASN'T THERE BEEN ENOUGH BULLSHIT THIS YEAR?
Sungmin is the least selfish member I know. For years, he has sacrificed for his members and put them before himself. Just from memory, I can tell you that:-
1) He welcomed Kyuhyun with open arms when Kyuhyun's entrance pushed him down from Lead Singer. (Hey, it would have been RYS if Kyuhyun hadn't come along.)
2) He stayed awake all night in a hotel room with Heechul because Heechul jokingly complained that his snoring kept him up.
3) He refused to cry at music shows, but instead hugged and supported his members because "I have 6 hyungs and 6 dongsaengs. I have to be strong for them, so I cannot cry." For a person as sensitive as Sungmin, do you know how hard that is?! And yet he's done it, all for his members.
4) He defended a complete stranger from bullies. It was a hidden camera, so you can't tell me he only did it because he was on film.
5) He sacrificed a sports race because he helped a member of a rival team when they fell.
6) He's been volunteering at charities for many many years.
7) Even if the camera isn't on him or he doesn't have the solo line, he makes sure to give his best during performances. This takes an incredible amount of concentration and effort.
If all this doesn't mean sacrifice, then please explain to me what your definition is, because I think we use different dictionaries- or you expect Sungmin to kill a bull and offer it up to the spirits. (And to be honest, if a member requested it, do you think he wouldn't?!?)
This person; this shy, quiet, calm member who's willing to stay in the background so that others can shine even though he's so talented he could run the show, is the person that I spent 5 years of my life loving. And a person cannot change overnight, so the Lee Sungmin now is the same Lee Sungmin I spent those 5 years of my life loving. How can I stop loving someone just because he made a decision that may have hurt me? I don't own him. He doesn't owe me a living. If anything I owe him my happiness, because Lord knows he's put a smile on my face where tears might have been running down my cheeks.
All of you who have started to hate him because of all this, how dare you call yourself an ELF? You were only a fan because you liked the idea of Lee Sungmin that he projected. As long as he did what you wanted, you supported him. Now that he's doing what any normal (straight) man would do and getting married, you turn away and shun him. That doesn't say anything about what sort of person Sungmin is; it just speaks volumes about you.
I love Lee Sungmin, and that means I want him to be happy. I love Lee Sungmin, and that means I will stand with him. Are you with me?